Sunday, May 25, 2008

Ch.4- Popular Radio

1. What are the main points in this chapter?
-Advertising today is taking over the radio.
-Early technology conforms to the modern day radio with lots of advertising instead of a stream of information.
-Radio back then compared to radio today.

2.What evidence does the author provide to support these points?
-Radio= 30 minutes of commercials now a day and the station programs are being speed up and the public doesn't notice they are listening to more advertising than the radio.
-Telegraph, morse code, wireless telegraphy, to broadcasting, and narrow casting into bigger networks.
-Radio back them was people's major form of information where as today the radio is being overpowered by other mediums and with all the commercials in radio is whats making people a more entertaining source.

3.Is this evidence convincing?
-yes

4.Would someone from a different world view be convinced?
-Some points yes and others no because some places only have the radio as their source of information.

2 comments:

Randi Wright said...

1. I cannot stand when I am totally into a song on the radio (usually one i have not heard in a while) and right after comes an annoying commercial... I like to think that advertisement does not reach to me through radio and personally i hate it. I am a music lover anyway so th last thing I want is annoying commercial after annoying commercial. It surprised me to find that Campbell stated the public doesn't notice they are listening to more advertisement on the radio

2. Today radio is very much used as a mass form of media for people involved with advertising. Who knew you could listen to your favorite song, while hearing about that next car your going to buy, or that insurance your going to sign over to! I mean we cannot get away from advertisement. Its bad enough when we sit at home being a bored couch potato and have nothing more excited then listening and watching commercial and info television! When I am in my car its the last thing i wanna here. I WANT NON-STOP MUSIC!

3. The dilution of radio has been around for quite sometime now and will only advance from there. Unfortunately, the only non-stop music you can get anymore is by purchasing an XM radio, which has a rate every month that you have to keep up on.

Tracey Wood said...

One of the main reason i have started to listen to the radio less is because advertising has become over powering and less music is being played. It used to be that 7-10 songs would play in a row and then you would hear a couple advertisements. It's now getting to the point where you hear one song and then multiple advertisements. I must say it is a effective way of advertising but at the same time ineffective because it could annoy the consumer.

I remember when i used to listen to the radio at home, when i was hanging out with friends, in the car, and at work. Now i have limited it to the car and at work occasionally because there is minimal music being played. And now with the development of the XM radio i believe there is still a chance for radio to survive and for it so become a larger source of entertainment once again.